Sunday, September 24, 2023

THIS SOB FACEBOOK A/C OWNER TRIED TO SCAM ME, AND OTHER SCAMS



I am careful when adding FB friend requests from ladies but less so with males. With “Puay” I sort of let my guard down seeing a male with a proper name and photo. In most cases I do a quick check of the profile. This of course is not fool proof. The first red flag of a new FB friendship is upon connecting, you receive a text via messenger. FB isn’t a penpal platform for goodness sake. But of course there are always the genuine ones who send a one-off message to say thanks for accepting the request. In my case, quite a few dropped me a note to say they enjoyed my blog and gave encouragements.

Lottery scams

Puay is unlikely a real name. I googled and found only the FB account. He does not exist anywhere else online. I had his photo reverse image searched and found nothing.

On connection, Puay sent me a message and told me he had wanted to reach me for a while as he had something to share. My immediate reaction was to block him out. Not really curious about him, but I thought heck, I'll see what's new in scam world. So I gave curt responses. I said "OK."

There were long time gaps in his replies so I think he is probably from another time zone, or to impress he was not hounding me as most con artists tend to do. He asked have I heard of Facebook Lotto? It's FB's new lucky draw. He said winners names are on a list. He had won about $200,000 (he had deleted old messages and I can't recall the exact sums). He had collected his winnings. Said he saw my name on the list and I had won $300,000. Would I be interested, he asked. He would have a friend contact me. I replied "NO".

Nevertheless he sent me this link to FB Lotto account. On second thought, this may be a Filipino con, "Lotto" is a Filipino lottery. I waited 2 days then sent him a text. "Thank you very much. I collected $1,500,000. It's only fair I present you with a reward of $150,000. Please let me know what is your bank and account number." He never came back.

In most lottery scams, victims are asked to make a small fee payment following which his winnings will be transferred. Like real.

Old Nigerian scams

I first became aware of Nigerian scams when LAN email emerged in 1980s. Yessiree, many of the scams seen today have been around for 40+ years,  some with slight variations, others still running the same old scripts. When I was working in a bank, I used to receive these scam emails with a regularity of once a week. Back then they seek out victims amongst higher officials. Somebody somewhere must be selling contact lists then, as they do today. The common plot is some ministers or generals, or some British dignitaries, died tragically. He left behind huge bank balances (understood to be corruptly acquired) to a certain beneficiary who has also perished or cannot be found. As the beneficiary has the same surname as you, the lawyer can quietly insert your name as next of kin. All they needed was your legit bank account so they can move the funds out. Upon receipt of funds you round trip to the plotter's account their share of the illicit funds. There is no risk, right? And we were talking like US$10m, a colossal amount back then. I wondered where was the kicker. How does the scam work. So I responded once. Ah so I needed to open a local bank account. Would I please send a small initial deposit and they will set it up for me. US$5,000 for millions, not a bad chance to take, right? So I relied "Will arrange shortly". I have kept a Nigerian scammer waiting for 40+ years.

What amazed me were 2 incidents. One was a businessman friend called me excitedly to tell me of a "lobang" of small money for huge returns. He had received a somewhat similar Nigerian email and was really excited. I brought him back down to Earth. I was perturbed that a smart young businessman could for one second fall for this sort of nonsense. The other incident was something I read in the press of the experience of 2 Malaysians. They had received same email and thinking it was exclusive, took a flight out to Abuja. Their Nigerian hosts entertained them and took them to a hotel. There in the hotel room, relieved of passports, they were forced to wire over from Malaysia about US$30,000.  Two punny Malaysians towered over by five 200 pounder black giants in a foreign hotel room, there wasn't much option. 

Honey pots

Where do they all come from? Most I think are from China, at least as far as the profile photos suggest. We can more or less identify Chinese lasses from PRC. They are distinguishable from Chinese girls from Taiwan, HK or Asean countries. PRC Chinese girls like to display the impish allure look and studio quality photos. Some of these girls are outright upfront in sexy pose. Once friend request is accepted, here comes the messages and the flesh sales. Reject. Reject. Reject.

Jobs galore

These are all over the place - Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram, Messenger. They are basically out to hassle some registration fees, some perhaps to impress their principals by padding their enquiries numbers (Aka state media and inflated circulation figures), some with darker intent to obtain private info, or worse, to hijack your device. Again, it's obvious someone is selling Whatsapp and Telegram numbers. If from Facebook or Messenger, they will have an associate to get in touch with you on Whatsapp. Run. Run. Run.

University Birmingham

I have loss count of the number of Chinese lasses purportedly alumni of this university who sent me friend requests. They message me immediately upon connection and started asking personal questions. Since I am authentic, I have much info already displayed in my FB profile. Their questions were redundant. I sense some trickery is afoot but wonder why the fixation with Uni Birmingham. I have since avoided any friend request from alumnus of this uni.

Notwithstanding the risks of scams, the internet is free and online connectivity has its thrills and spills. Have fun, be vigilant and no need to be paranoia over security.



A parting shout out :

Plato said:
“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
If you like what you read here and feel it matters Singaporeans know stuff like this, please click and share with your social circle. This makes my effort worthwhile.



This platform has withdrawn it's subscriber widget. If you like blogs like this and wish to know whenever there is a new post, click the button to my FB and follow me there. I usually intro my new blogs there. Thanks.






1 comment:

Pedro Santa Cruz said...

Highly Recommended!
Very insightful, i will also say this here. Recording the success in Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin is not just buying and holding till when bitcoin sky-rocks, this has been longed abolished by intelligent traders ,mostly now that bitcoin bull is still controlling the market after successfully defended the $20,000 support level once again and this is likely to trigger a possible move towards $40,000 resistance area However , it's is best advice you find a working strategy by hub/daily signals that works well in other to accumulate and grow a very strong portfolio ahead. I have been trading with Mr Bernie doran daily signals and strategy, on his platform, and his guidance makes trading less stressful and more profit despite the recent fluctuations. I was able to easily increase my portfolio in just 3weeks of trading with his daily signals, growing my 0.9 BTC to 2.9BTC. Mr Bernie’s daily signals are very accurate and yields a great positive return on investment. I really enjoy trading with him and I'm still trading with him, He is available to give assistance to anyone who love crypto trading and beginners in bitcoin investment , I would suggest you contact him on WhatsApp : + 1424(285)-0682 , Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM for inquiries , Bitcoin is taking over the world